Stupid Genius

- Making mistakes is our rights, learning from them is our responsibilty.

- "I have no choice" is another way of saying "I've have chosen the easier option"

- Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Thomas A Edison

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Saturday, November 26, 2005


I don't know if you pp have heard of Muchuan, 木船. It's a bubble tea place with Live bands performing. Sort of like a pub except that they serve bubble tea instead of alcohol and that they sing mostly mandarin songs. And they sing only until 11pm. We call it 民歌餐厅. I don't know the english term for it.

Muchuan has been entertaining us chinese songs lovers for the past 12 years. I wuold guess that they were following on the success of the Taiwan Muchuan. For a period they should be doing quite well, as I see alotta other 民歌餐厅 popping up, and Muchuan doubled their shop size. Unfortunately, like all business bubbles, most of these 民歌餐厅 closed down after a couple of years. Taiwan Muchuan also ceased to exists few years back. Competition from the pubs, KTV and each other is taking a heavy toll from them I guess. But the Singapore Muchuan is still standing proudly.


I first visited Muchuan in 1996. Started going regularly about 3 years ago. I've always liked listening to chinese songs, especially those of the 1980s era. Some friends tell me that they prefer to use the money in KTv instead where they get to sing and not listen to some strangers sing. Well, I can't sing as well as those singers, even if they are only amatuers. And there are so many people flocking to pubs to listen to Live bands sings english songs, I happen to prefer a mandarin touch.

I always go Muchuan on Friday evenings. It used to be Sunday evenings, then Thursdays, and then now it's Friday. Cos of my favourite band of cause! They are the band with the highest amount chinese oldies in their repetoire. They've consists of 2 person mainly. Weiyang is the best guitarist in Muchan and Michael has a mouth that is full of cock. I don't mean it in a gay sense of cuase.

They had been with Muchuan since the beginning. These 12 years must have been difficult for them, alot of their peers have since quit the scene. Alot of the singers have come and go, but they are still here. Muchuan is their sanctuary from work they say and they treasure the 3 hours that they spent in Muchuan every week. I hope they have alot more of 12 yrs to come!


In this 12 year anniversary, instead of celebrating with fan fare, they are moving. They used to be at the 1st floor of Apollo Center. It can be found in the map above. They are moving to the Safra building at Carpenter Street. It can be found in the map above as well. I feel abit sad. That old place is so full of memories.

Edit: I forgot to add. The cover charges for the new Muchuan is now only $6 for weekdays and $9 for weekends!!

P1040762
This pic is taken with my favourite band in Muchuan in the new place

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Blogger Jenny Teo said...

I don't frequent Muchuan often but ya, I enjoy their slot too, though they usually sing their favourite songs so less variety lah.. I always find that Michael reminds me of Zeng Guo Cheng (the Taiwanese host), though he is wen zhi bin bin lah haha...

Chanced upon your post via Tomorrow.sg, and very happy to know that there are people like you who also enjoy Muchuan and other min ge can ting (like Music Dreamer). Support them always!

12/06/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger Tai Yew Mun said...

jenny> ya. their repertoir limited, but they do rehearse new songs frequently. I especially like it when they sing "abnormal" songs like man li, jie mei, honey honey, etc. those popular normal songs, listen to radio can liao.

12/06/2005 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home