Stupid Genius

- Making mistakes is our rights, learning from them is our responsibilty.

- "I have no choice" is another way of saying "I've have chosen the easier option"

- Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Thomas A Edison

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Continue from The Rehearsal.



After the rehearsal, we have a CO night, where we have a sumptuous dinner and beer. It was a great night. Dinner was delicious. I joined some of the company guys in the canteen for more beer after it. Chandran brought along some Chivas. Yummy. And we played game and drank the alcohol. Unfortunately, I overestimated my drinking capacity and vomited in the canteen. Twice. The 1st time, the amount of bile is quite little and I managed to cover it up with sand pretty easily. The second time is more, and, well, it's not so well covered. But the rest of them didn't really know. I left shortly after the 2nd time. The next morning, Chandran scolds me as the canteen lady scolded them for making a mess. So sorry. Me bad.

[IMAGE: Assemble in front of tank]
Assemble in front of tank
ATEC started with us getting the tank prepped up. After which we'll assemble in front of the tank waiting for move out. Oh mine, I looked like a widget beside my crew. I am the 1 on the right, if you can't see properly. Vincent, the driver, is the 1 standing right next to me. He's >190cm in height.

[IMAGE: Camouflaged face]
Camouflaged face
Just before we were to move off, I received instructions that us tankees have to camouflage our face as well. The reason is more to look good than for tactical reasons I feel. Anyway, since orders passed down, we will do it.

[IMAGE: Down again]
Camouflaged face
As luck would have it, my vehicle broke down again shortly after moving off. And the whole day was spent repairing it, and I only joined up with the rest of my company at dawn the next day. As if I've not had enough bad luck, my commander's tank broke down on the 2nd day morning, and he took my tank. Once again, I am being tasked to look after a broken down tank. This time, I came a full circle and rejoin my original crew.

[IMAGE: Repairman]
Repairman
Khoo repairing the tank. It's a wonder he can get into the tank in the 1st place. Haha!

[IMAGE: Kangaroo remains]
Kangaroo remains
Saw this while waiting to rejoin the fighting force.

[IMAGE: Down again]
Down again
Me really very unlucky. Just after I saw some action, as I was prepared to go on the final mission, the tank failed me again. Grr.

[IMAGE: Walking back]
Walking back
No choice, but to walk back to camp. Haha! Kidding. We were 60km away. Assuming can abandon tank, walk until die also won't reach.

[IMAGE: Ride back]
Ride back
Ride back? But this bike is not mine. It's needed in the mission. And I don’t know how to ride. :P

[IMAGE: Stuck]
Stuck
So we are stuck again.

[IMAGE: Last sunrise outfield]
Last sunrise outfield
The tank is repaired. I am now waiting for everyone to come back from the last mission so that we can all go back camp.

[IMAGE: Nice view]
Nice view
The view is actually quite nice.

[IMAGE: Kangaroo]
Kangaroo
Look! There's even a kangaroo!!

After all have returned, it is 1 big procession back to camp. Followed by a flurry of activities where we were trying to return all the items we got from the camp back to the camp. This in camp training is quite eventful. I've had much more broke downs than I ever encountered, the tanks are normally quite sturdy and reliable, but Wallabye offers a different experience from the exercises in Singapore. I was involved in an ambush where our ambush location is so good that I felt I stepped into a training simulator. Now that ATEC is over, there'll be about 2 more reservist before my unit will stand down. Time sure flies.

After this, we got a 1 day educational tour of and we are back to Singapore. And I discovered that I am supposed to have a business class seat on the way back. Neat. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Post a Comment

<< Home