Stupid Genius

- Making mistakes is our rights, learning from them is our responsibilty.

- "I have no choice" is another way of saying "I've have chosen the easier option"

- Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Thomas A Edison

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Thursday, January 05, 2006

I took up the Starhub promotion of getting a Compaq notebook for $398 by signing a contract with them to keep my Maxonline account for 2 years last month. It was a troublesome process.

I found out about the promotion when I see their makeshift booth outside the Sommerset MRT station. I was told that I have to go down to their shop as they can only do new sales at the booths. I went to the one at Plaza Singapura the following week. They told me that the shop only do new sales as well and that I have to call in. Waste of my time. I called them up the next morning, and after processing my contract extension, the guy at the phone tells me that they'll send me an email within 2 weeks and I can arrange with them the collection of my laptop. When I did receive the email, it's to tell me to go to this website to confirm my choice of freebie. Then I have to wait 3-5 working days before I received their call. The call is to confirm what I clicked in the website. And also to tell me that the laptop do not come with a carrying case and all other accessories which I declined to buy from them. After that I have to wait up to 19 days for them to prepare the notebook for collection. Since I opt to save on $49 for delivery, I have to go to Jurong to get it. I did not keep track, but I waited more than 2 weeks, and when they called me, I can only collect it on 1 day, which is today.

This is a day of many cock ups. I checked the street directory for the location of the pick up point and the means to get there by MRT or bus. When I left the house, I forgot to bring with me the address. It was drizzling slightly, so I brought an umbrella, not thinking of how inconvenient it will be after I got the laptop. I also forgot to close the windows in the house. Luckily my sister came back early enough to close it, so that the kitchen is not too wet.

Anyway, I remembered that I have to take the MRT to Jurong East and transferred to Bus Service either 78 or 79. After I alight the bus, it was still drizzling lightly and I made my way in the direction where I can remember. I tried to call them, but the line is engaged. I tried to find a friend who has collected her laptop to see if she can gave me the address, but she's nowhere to be found. And the line continues to be engaged. Luckily I managed to get thru the line after sometime. I asked for the address and found the correct place. It's some warehouse. And the office is at some ulu corner.

The rain got heavier as I left the place. The laptop box though small, but it's still quite inconvenient. Especially when one hand is tasked to hold the umbrella. And the umbrella is held at an angle facing the rain. And I can feel a pool of water in my sneakers.

Finally made it to the bus stop, and the bus is taking a long time to arrive. And when it did, there' a brig crowd waiting to board it. It's anohter challenge balancing the box, holding the umbrella, 1 story book and my wallet which is needed to tap the ezlink thingy. I recognise the driver as the same 1 as the bus that I took when I came. The people at the bus was quite friendly though. 2 persons gave their seats to me. The first I declined, and an Indian/Malay uncle took it. When the second guy gave me the seat, I took it. :)

Alighting the bus and getting up the MRT and home is easy enough. The rain has also gotten much lighter by then. The laptop looks nice, and the battery is charging now. More about it next time.

Ok, got to go. Meeting Elaine for dinner.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Post a Comment

<< Home