Stupid Genius

- Making mistakes is our rights, learning from them is our responsibilty.

- "I have no choice" is another way of saying "I've have chosen the easier option"

- Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Thomas A Edison

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Friday, February 24, 2006

Elaine at Airport

Shadow is taking the 6pm flight to Bangkok today. She's having a late check out at 2pm, which leaves her a couple of hours to do some shopping at Great World City before she goes. She's going to be at Bangkok for the next 6 months for work. After that it's probably another country for another 6 months. Such a nice job it is.

I had worked until 11pm the previous day. Before I leave, I managed to solve all the problems, so I thought it should be ok to take 1/2 day leave to send her off. If needed, I can always come back to the office after that. My boss is agreeable to it. In fact, he told me I won't have to come back. She told me she's leaving at 4pm, so I decided to leave at 3pm. But as Murphy law goes, SM found 2 new bugs just before I wanted to leave the office. I managed to solve 1 bug, but I go no time for the other 1. It should not be too hard, and I expect to solve it. Since the flight is 6pm, which means she'll be in way before that, and I may come back at about 6pm and be finished with it by 7pm.

I do not know which bus to take to her hotel, so I walked there. Walked past Clark Quay along the way and met this old man who asked me how to walk to Hougang. That's of course not possible, so he asked me to give him some money to take a bus. He has $0.50, and he needed $1.30 to take the bus. I had met such cheats before, so I am apprehensive about giving him money. I would be very happy to give $2 to an old man in need, but the cynical me is not willing to give $0.10 to a cheat. In the end I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. $1 is a small enough amount to risk to be cheated if it's to help an old man in need.

I reached her hotel in about 15 minutes and sms her to ask her her room number. If you are not as blur as me, you’ll remember that she checked out at 2pm and went Great World City shopping. So it's more walking for me.

On reaching Great World City, she told me that her luggage is way overweight. I suggested that she should go to the airport early as they tend to be more lenient to early birds. And back to the hotel we go, to collect her luggage.

Elaine and me
The luggage weighed about 33kg. And sure enough, they let her checked it in. We then went to McDonalds for a drink, waste some time, and then it's boarding time. She went through the custom at slightly after 5:30pm and I make my way to the MRT.

It's some distance to walk and there still some waiting time at the station, so I don't know what time I board the train. But I fell asleep when I board it, expecting to wake up somewhere nearer to City Hall. But of course that is not to be. We are supposed to switch train at Tanah Merah! I did not realize about it until about 6:05pm when I woke up. I thought I reached Marina Bay MRT, until I heard "Next stop, Expo". Grr.

When I reached office at 6:45pm, SM told me it's now 3 bugs and not 1 bug. And the bug that I left hanging is more complicated then I expected. In the end it's 10:30pm before I fixed all of them, and I am supposed to meet Bernard and Samwin at 10:30pm at Jurong East.

And the list of cock ups grew. This time, I took the wrong direction. And when I realize, and cross the platform, it's a 6min wait for the next train. I finally met with them at about 11pm. We went to Jurong Country Club for some beer. I realize I had not had dinner, but their kitchen is closed. We left the place at about 1:30am. Bernard dropped me at Jurong East MRT station as I wanted to top up my easy link card before taking the night bus. But there's no money in the bank to top up. Luckily I still had $3 to take the bus, but there goes my dinner.

When I finally reach home, it's past 2:30am. And I forgot to bring my keys. Luckily my sister is still awake.

[IMAGE: Noodles]
Noodles
I finally get to have my dinner at 3am when I cooked a bowl of instant noodles. I forgot to put in the msgflavouring at first and it tasted quite bland. At least that's the last cock up of the day...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Post a Comment

<< Home