Stupid Genius

- Making mistakes is our rights, learning from them is our responsibilty.

- "I have no choice" is another way of saying "I've have chosen the easier option"

- Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Thomas A Edison

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fluff Friends is the application in Facebook that I spent the most time on. The idea is that you go around petting other Fluff to earn 5 munny for each Fluff you get. You can only earn the 5 munny once from each Fluff in a day. The day starts from GMT 0:00:00.

However, there's no indication if you have already petted the Fluff. There's only 2 way to know. 1 is your memory. This gets more difficult when you pet more Fluff. 2 is you pet the Fluff, then it will inform you if you have petted before. Duh. A waste of time. Moreover, when you pet a Fluff, you can't pet another 1 until 5 seconds later.

So I decided to write a script for Greasemonkey in Firefox that will tell me if I have been to the Fluff page before. You can do a number of things in a Fluff page. You can pet, race, give gifts, or none of the above. But I made it a point to at least pet the Fluff for every Fluff I go to. So if a Fluff page I visited, I can assume I have already petted it.

At 1st, I tried to just change the style where the visited links is of a different colour. This can't really work as I need to reset it at GMT 0:00:00. I don't know how to reset visited links for only Fluff links. So I used cookie to keep track of the Fluff ID I've been to. And everytime a Fluff page is linked, I will check the Fluff ID against the cookie and change the color of the link if necessary. The cookie will expire on GMT 0:00:00.

However, I found another problem at night. After I petted numerous Fluff, the size of the cookie grew too big. So I have to save to a second cookie when the 1st cookie got too big. And it's working fine so far. Hopefully that's all the work I need to do on it. :P

Update: Following some feedback by Thierry, I added auto checking of the links every 2 minutes.

Update: After petting more than 700 fluff today, I got an error when I load fluff. The size of the cookie got too big. So I changed to using GM_setValue instead.

For those who wanted to use the script, you can get it at
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/42512
Remember, it's for Firefox browser with the Greasemonkey extention. You can search for Greasemonkey on the Firefox extention site.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Post a Comment

<< Home